Monday, May 04, 2009

Someone actually bought my old digicam

Five years ago I bought a 4 megapixel Canon S410 for a few hundred dollars (I don't remember the exact amount--but it was at least $350). At the time, it was one of the best point-and-shoot cameras on the market and I was satisfied with the quality of the photos it captured. Over the years, however, newer cameras have emerged with image stabilization, more megapixels, greater zoom capacity, and all for much less money. By comparison, the images from my S410 look terrible.
So I decided to buy another point-and-shoot and will probably purchase something like the Canon A1000 for under $200. In the meantime, I also decided to see if my old Canon could fetch anything in the online used camera market, and remarkably someone bought it for about $80. In absolute terms, the depreciation is fairly severe, but in relative consumer tech terms, it's a great price... for the seller. I cannot comprehend why someone would buy that camera (even if it was in great condition) for that price. Art project? Style preference? Scam? Collector's item? Who knows? 
I mean it's true that I did throw in 64 MB and 256 MB cards, but that alone can't explain the buyer's behavior.