Sunday, January 18, 2009

Interview of the day: Gary Taubes

Seth Roberts recently interviewed Gary Taubes. Here's an excerpt:
SETH: I see. So that’s a good summing up of what was in your article that you believe, and what you don’t believe anymore.

GARY TAUBES: There are other related facts, as well. I never imagined when I wrote that original article that I would come to believe that exercise won’t make you lose weight, even though I’ve been an athlete my entire life and it’s never helped me. So it’s fair to say that when I wrote that New York Times article five years ago, I had an entirely different conception about the causes and cures of obesity and overweight. Carbohydrates were key, but my understanding of the mechanisms was completely different. That’s the kicker with research and reporting: you don’t know what you’ll find until you do it.